Sunday, June 19, 2011

6-20-11 Belfast-Edinburgh Day 6

This morning, as I type this on August 24, biding my time until I can go to a different kind of "home", I contemplate how different places feel like "home" or have that sense about them. I adored Ireland. I learned a lot, the country was lovely, the castles were awesome, the people were funny and engaging and very nice. But I would be lying if I didn't say that, for me, the goal of this entire thing was getting to Scotland. This was that day on the trip.

I had previously missed that there was a timeline going up the spiral staircase, that contained the history of the Europa hotel. We found out at the end of the stay that the Europa is in the Guiness Book of World Records...as the most BOMBED building in the world. Nice. Sort of glad we found that out at the END of the trip =)



At any rate, the first pictures are the interesting bits I thought, of the timeline going up the staircase at the Europa. This was taken VERY early morning, while there was some confusion about whether or not we had boxed breakfast things to take to the airport. We ended up not really having anything to eat. They told us to go, if we wanted coffee and fruit, but apparently, the hotel had made our boxed breakfasts...the week before, so there were none to be had on this day. I passed on the trying to scrounge for food, and decided I'd just eat when I could. I also didn't really want to be swishing coffee around while the bus was lumbering side-to-side.

I think I was most impressed with security at the Belfast airport, go figure. They take things VERY seriously there. I hadn't even realized or been called on such things, but I was forced to get a detailed bag search after I neglectfully did not remove a tube of lipstick, hand sanitizer, some makeup powdery stuff, lip stain, and hand lotion. I am a bad traveler...but I sure wasn't alone. It was actually kind of scary and these folks weren't messing around. They were militaristic and non-smiling, fairly seething menace...

The flight was uneventful, and we arrived in Edinburgh. SQUEEE, the point of the entire trip! SCOTLAND!! The first place we stopped was Calton Hill and Observatory. It was really beautiful there! We got to see old stone walls that were stunning, climbed steep ramps and stairs, but the breathtaking view at the top was worth every single step. Gorgeous, tall columns, and a view of all Edinburgh that was to die for! This mountain that you can see from most places in Edinburgh, I know I have pictures of it from several different places throughout the city. It's green and lush and just looks majestic.

We drove around getting from the airport to our hotel, ON the Royal Mile. Man, we were lucky. We passed interesting things, more examples of Georgian architecture, and other examples. LOVED the red stone some of the buildings had. I was struck by how DIRTY the buildings were. I know it's a city, but dang....everything, beautiful buildings and such historic significance, and they were just dingy.

Once we got checked in to the hotel and settled, it was time to EAT! Then we went on a short walk. A picture I took walking down the street was of another mime. He was okay, but not as engaging or as, umm, startling as the mime in Dublin. I find it interesting that the first one was, bronze, I think, and this one was silver. This one, not as meticulous in his presentation, check out his socks....slight dark red poking through that silver, guy =)

First we saw a lovely little courtyard, and, and got to visit St. Giles Cathedral. Not being a religious person, I could appreciate the style and intricacy of design in the church, the history contained therein, the flags, and all the pretty stained glass, but it did not hold spiritual significance for me. I did light a candle for my parents. My mom would have liked that and while I am not sure my dad would have cared, I think he would have appreciated the thought =)

Then, it was time to walk to Edinburgh Castle. This was a very cool place. It's at the top of the City, so you can see it from almost anywhere in the City. We were lucky and unlucky, as when we walked across the bridge to get there, they were already setting up the bleachers and such for the annual Scottish Military Tattoo. This is a competition of piping and other military stuff (?), I am to understand occurs in the Summer at the castle. Flanking the entrance to the castle is William Wallace on one side and Robert the Bruce on the other side. Symbolic and ironic, that. Touching. We walked up and saw the gun batteries, the chapel, which is the oldest building in the castle, and now houses a prisoner of war exhibit I was okay with not seeing, although I have enjoyed seeing pictures from it. I saw the Great Hall, and the Scottish Crown jewels. Monarchs remain a mystery to me and it's a very strange concept to me to make an assumption of superiority based on nothing but your birthright. Boggles my mind.

Now is where I tell my castle ghost story. This castle tried to eat me, I am sure of it. This is how I remember things. There is a picture in my pics, that says "David's Tower". I had gone in search of a rest room, and passed David's Tower on my way down to it, used the facilities, and then made my way back. The tower was an area where you could go inside the castle and see some of the underground and excavated stuff, and I think portions of at least a few of the dungeons. So I walk in to this place and it is damp and creepy, to be sure. I see this one area where there is a gate, and the gate is open, and it's like, I am being beckoned to go through the gate and investigate. I do go down. It's dark down there, and I think how easy it would be to lose one's way down there. I cannot see well and have to move back up the stairs and into the light to make an adjustment on one of the cameras I was using. It feels like a tugging, a "don't go" as I'm walking back up the stairs and into the light. I make my adjustment and turn back around to return. I walk forward a few paces, and the gate is no longer open and beckoning, it is closed. I move my hand to the inside, thinking it's just a latch because I was JUST THERE, and there's a lock on it. I look around startled, and there is no one else around. I SWEAR TO GOD that gate was JUST OPEN and I was JUST down there (pointing). At this point I get REALLY creeped out, get goose bumps and hurry up and out of David's Tower. I can't shake the feeling that David's Tower wanted me to stay for a very, very long time...

Now, I had a fascination with "closes" when I was in Scotland. There's a particular book by Diana Gabaldon that has my favorite, most romantic scene. It involves someone peering down a close to find a particular business, and find it she does. My goal was to find a close that I thought closely resembled the one in the book and take a picture of it. So, I had to take a picture of a lot of closes in the process, but they really are fascinating things...small little alley streets that connect the main streets and different levels in Edinburgh, and I saw them in Inverness also...this was also coupled with taking pictures of everything in Scotland that had "Fraser" on it. Heh, yeah, I know I'm a dork...

Finally, there are a couple of pictures of my room and the view from it. The next pics are of the restaurant where we ate dinner that night. Called Maxie's, it was an awesome place and I had one of my favorite meals here. In the UK, they have these special deals where you get like two or three courses on an "early bird" special for a lesser price. This night, you got to choose an appetizer, main course and a desert. My appetizer was a smoked salmon spread that was put on Scottish oak cakes, and there was small salad on the plate too. Then my dinner was a bed of potatoes, a salmon filet, then a chicken breast and a white cream sauce. My GOD was it good! One of my top two, for sure.

Finally, we ended up at Black Bull No. 12, a pub with a lively Scottish entertainer, fine cider, sing-alongs, and great times. The square we had to walk through on the way down is where they used to hold public executions, and looking up, there was a stunning view of the castle from below.

We ended walking back to the hotel and happened upon some chaps who were in their chips and helping the local garbage men toss the bags into the truck. With it being high tourist season, it seemed the trash was collected daily on the busy streets, and it's a wonder they keep the city as clean as they do!

So concluded day six, the best so far!

Peace!

No comments: