Thursday, October 21, 2010

AUTHENTIC Reno Celtic Celebration...

First, a little background information...a couple of years ago, I began reading these books. These books are about Celtic people in general, and Scottish Highlanders in particular. I am here to tell you, NOTHING has captivated my interest in a long time, like these books. The books are by Diana Gabaldon, and it is the Outlander series. Jaime and Claire are two of my hero's, and I can't wait to see what happens to them next! Hunky Highlander!

I have, at many times in my life been an absolutely avid reader, but I am one of those people that once I read a book, I cannot reread it. Until Diana's books. There is so much to them, and there is so much detail and HISTORY in them, that one cannot help but reread. The first time, you want to know what's happening in the STORY. Subsequent times show you what you missed. Not intentionally, but skimmed over because you were worried about WHAT CAME NEXT. These books are awesome! My geek-love for Diana reached unknown boundaries when I began to participate in an online forum she also frequents, the Books and Writers Community, originally through Compuserve, purchased by AOL, yadda yadda. I've interacted with Diana a few times, and she seems like a pretty cool person. Anyway, moving on...

I began to learn and absorb things about Celtic culture. I was raised by mom, my dad died about a month before I turned seven, so what little family traditions and such we grew up with, came from her. Her background is Hispanic and Native American, but there was NO NA influence in our lives. At the time my mom came of age, people with Native blood learned to be VERY ashamed of it.

What I never thought about until this couple of years ago, is that the other half of my heritage is IRISH! I am half Celt too! Hey, that's ME!! I think. We didn't keep in close contact with whatever was left of my dad's family, so I am not 100% sure, but my dad looks like an Irish guy. Red hair, never tanned, super white skin, and from stories told, he definitely handled the drinking gene. I began to get interested in Celtic things and learn what I could.

For the second year now, at the beginning of October, I spend a weekend getting some serious Geek on. Our local folks hold a Celtic Celebration, and last year was my first one, although I understand they've been doing it for awhile. This year, I got to see amazing things, and meet really cool people. One of the most AMAZING things I saw was HIGHLAND COOS!!





They were so cute! I wanted to take them home, but I don't think that would have been good. Although their pens were about the size of my backyard, I don't think they would have liked it much =)

Saturday, we had an awesome day! We met amazing people and it was BUSY! Sunday was just as amazing, but moreso because we had AUTHENTIC WEATHER:




Folks who know how seldom it rains in Reno know what a site this was! It was beautiful! To me, it made the celebration that much more special! I also got to meet an amazing and awesome Scottish couple from near Edinburra (Edinburgh). There son was giving some sort of talk, and his mom said "He's a good laddie". It was awesome. Then there was the Irish guy who walked up and said "Do ye take crrrrreeeedit cccaaarrrds?" None of the other folks working the front could understand him, and I did! So I got the pleasure of telling him where the ATM machine was, but he could have burrrrred at me all day and I would die a happy woman!

At one point, a small group of three young men strolled to the entrance gate, where I was working, one of them had a plaid on, bare legs and what looked like knee high Jack boots. The boots were playa-fied, so I said to him "Those boots look playa-fied". "Yep," he says, "In fact, this whole outfit was gotten for Burning Man". We laughed and I wished him an enjoyable time at the Festival.


The quote of the day came at the very end. A piper came down the hill, past the front gate and returned a little while later with some friends, who asked "We heard you were giving away free t-shirts. Is that true?" Well, we had discounted the t-shirts, but weren't giving them away, so we said so. A little while later, this same man drives towards the gate, ready to leave, and rolls down his car window to see if we are giving away t-shirts yet. He's driving a very nice, if slightly damp, newish BMW 5-series car. Hmmm. The guy in the kilt who was a burner and his friends were walking behind the guy in the Beemer and says "You're driving a BMW for Fuck's Sakes, pay the Five Dollars for a t-shirt".

I love my life.

Peace.

No comments: